Costa Rica - Basic Country Information and advice for travelers
Costa Rica Is an eco-tourism paradise with a unique biological wealth; the nature, scenic beauty, peace
and friendly people will make your stay in Costa Rica become an unforgettable experience.
You can enjoy its famous National Parks, mountains, volcanoes, adventure travel or simply relax
on a tropical beach.
You can enjoy the country's majestic volcanoes, Pacific and Caribbean beaches,
tropical dry, wet, and rain forests, as well as exhilarating jungle landscapes and beaches, all
without traveling long distances.
Costa Rica is known for its peace, democracy and tranquility. Ethnic origin dates back to the mixing
of the native inhabitants, Spanish colonists and African-Caribbean immigrants. Costa Rica stands out
for its great variety in natural beauty, friendly population and culture. There is a high standard of modern services; and there are no known terrorist activities to date.
As general advice, always be sure to contact licensed travel companies for your trips, they will advise accordingly.
You should not get involved with drugs of any kind in any way as drug trafficking is dealt with severely. Despite what people may say,
the authorities are well trained and perceptive. The minimum sentence is eight years imprisonment.
And Costa Rica takes good care of it's young, sexual exploitation of minors is a crime and punished with jail.
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions and Topics about traveling to Costa Rica
You may follow (click on) each link to go to the information page on that subject, if you need additional
information or would like another topic to be added please feel free to request it through our
request page or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Did you know? (Costa Rica Facts)
- Costa Rica has no standing army since 1948 (December 1st).
- Costa Rica is the oldest democracy in Latin America, since 1821.
- Costa Ricans speak the most neutral Spanish.
- Costa Ricans are well known for our democracy, peace, friendliness, longevity and even happiness.
- Costa Rica is home to about 6% of the world's land biodiversity in only 0.03% of its surface. You are able to visit areas of great biodiversity, take advantage of our Specials and offers!
- The above statement does not include sea life, which is considered to be very rich.
- More than 26% of Costa Rica's land is protected by the government: National Parks, Reserves, Refuges, and more.
- More than 49.5% if it's territorial waters is protected (more than 3 million hectares).
- Political, economical and social stability have been characteristic of the Costa Rican culture for generations.
- The country is well aware of the importance of protecting Nature and has a strong commitment to Sustainability.
- In 2007, the Costa Rican government announced plans for Costa Rica to become a carbon neutral country by 2021.
- Within its 51,200 square kilometers there is a wider variety of bird species than in all of Europe or North America.
- Primary education for both sexes is mandatory and free of cost since 1869.
- The death sentence was abolished in 1882.
- In 1983 a perpetual Neutrality was proclaimed.
- Costa Rica's microclimates vary from the barren cold volcanic tundra to the exotic cloud forest, from the deep dense jungle of
Talamanca to the tropical dry forests of Guanacaste (North Pacific).
- Costa Rica's weather is not as drastic as in countries on other latitudes.
There is a "dry" season (equivalent to summer/spring) during which temperatures pleasantly in the high sixties (20 degrees Celsius),
which goes from December to May. The "wet" season is normally from June till November, during which mornings are usually sunny,
and showers might be expected after noon. In areas near the coasts, temperatures may be as much as ten degrees higher.
- The sea water temperature can stay in the low 80's degrees Fahrenheit (high 20's Celsius).
- The main religion, as in the rest of Latin America, is Roman Catholic and the constitutional freedom of creed is always respected.
- Costa Rica is considered to have the highest freedom of the press in Latin America.
- Life Expectancy in Costa Rica is at 79.4 years.
- In 2007, the government started a plan to guide Costa Rica to be the first Carbon Neutral country in the world by 2021
- Costa Rica is the center of the continent in various aspects, this contributes to it's extraordinary variety.
- Costa Rica was the border and encounter place of the Mayas from the north and the Incas from the south.
Indigenous people have told us that trade from these two peoples was conducted in Costa Rica.
- Costa Rica is part of the land that last emerged many thousands of years ago uniting the continent,
flora and fauna from the north and south also encountered here.
- Costa Rica is a breeding place of both the north and the south whales.
- Spiritual leaders consider Costa Rica one of the world's chakras.
Click to check out our Offers and Promotions...
Follow this link to begin planning your Dream Costa Rica Vacation!!!